Monday, September 26, 2011

September Windwalker Humane Coalition Meeting

On Saturday my family attended the September Windwalker Humane Coalition meeting. My mom told me that Windwalker was described as "A unique, passionate, and energetic voice for people and animals via PPAT" (Professional Pet Assisted Therapy) by her friend and mentor, Pearl Salotto. Pearl is the founder of the DJPPAT program that we are attending. Mom said that Windwalker liked what Pearl said so much that they put that quote up on their website!


When they got home from the meeting they were talking about the guest speaker Marlo Manning's organization Fairy Dogparents and the great work that they were doing in Massachusetts. This organization prevents dogs from being surrendered to shelters due to temporary financial crisis. My mom showed me this video of an NBC news report about the organization.

 http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619//vp/40833466#40833466

I know how brokenhearted I would be if my family had to give me up, and I know they would be totally devastated to have to give me away. It made me so happy to see Marlo bringing dog food to a family who did not have the money to feed their family dog. Even with a full belly, my stomach started rumbling to see the food being carried into the house. I am a lab after all and I love to eat! They even help with veterinary care if the family can not afford it. Marlo told the people at the meeting how it breaks her heart to have to turn down dogs that need her help because they do not live in Massachusetts, but she hopes that others will be able to start an organization in their state. She'd even give them information on how to set it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment