Friday, October 14, 2011

Training class update

My training class on Wednesday had me going to a facility for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Because it was late in the day, most of the people had gone home, but I got to meet a few of the clients. I loved having them pet me. One little boy was afraid of dogs, but I lay down on the floor so he wouldn't be as scared. He touched me ever so slightly and then I kissed his hand.

The training was to see how I would react visiting a place I'd never been before. They checked to see if I got upset riding on an elevator; if I would walk by my companion's side on a linoleum floor, walking up and down stairs and going through a series of doors. I was also being tested on how I reacted to people I didn't know approaching me in a new environment. I think that I did a good job. The lady, Joanne, that works at the facility was so friendly and nice! Maybe I'll get to go back there sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment